Position Title: Financial Capability and Asset Building Program Assistant (NeighborWorks-AmeriCorps VISTA Position)
- Living Allowance
- Choice of Education Award or End of Service Stipend
- Childcare Assistance (if eligible)
- Relocation Allowance
- Healthcare Coverage
August 28, 2017 (1 year commitment)
Founded in 1965, Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) is a federal national service program designed to strategically partner with nonprofit organizations and public agencies and increase their capacity to lift Americans out of poverty. In 1993, VISTA was incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs, housed at the Corporation for National and Community Service (CNCS). AmeriCorps VISTA supports efforts to alleviate poverty by recruiting Americans, 18 years and older from a diverse range of backgrounds in a year of full-time service with a sponsoring organization (“sponsor”) to create or expand programs designed to empower individuals and communities in overcoming poverty.
LTSC Community Development Corporation is a fast-paced nonprofit organization with 100 employees. It has been creating, “positive change for people and places,” for 36 years providing service to over 10,000 people each year. LTSC carries out a wide range of programs including social services, childcare, economic development and building affordable housing. LTSC provides affordable housing and resident services for families, the working poor, seniors, formerly homeless, transition aged youth and other special needs populations.
Summary of Duties:
The VISTA member will serve a full year of service at LTSC and will work in its Resident Services department helping low income residents, of LTSC’s affordable housing buildings and surrounding neighborhoods, strengthen their financial management skills, to better control expenses, reduce debt and increase savings. The VISTA member will be responsible for:
- Grants research and writing: conducting research to identify potential funders; with the assistance of the program manager, preparing and submitting proposals to foundations, government and/or corporate sources
- Volunteer coordination: strengthen current volunteer procedures; develop ways to increase volunteer retention and help cultivate leaders to undertake more responsibilities and work more closely with staff.
- Assist staff with the development of a volunteer newsletter
- Analyzing data collected from surveys and needs assessments completed by clients and volunteers
- Assist staff to foster relationships with community partners and financial institutions to obtain community resources for clients and volunteers
- Assist staff in coordinating LTSC’S Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA).
Qualification and Experience:
Candidates for the Financial Capacity and Asset Building Program Assistant position should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Strong verbal, writing and math skills, a must;
- Experience with nonprofit community based organizations;
- Interest and experience working on issues affecting low-income and communities of color;
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low- income distressed neighborhoods;
- Experience in outreaching to the community;
- Be able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Strong initiative, highly organized, good problem-solving ability;
- Good computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint;
- Bilingual (Chinese, Korean, Spanish)/English; highly preferred
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to an insured automobile;
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends may be required)
How to Apply:
Submit resume with cover letter to email@example.com
Subject line: VISTA Applicant (Initials)
Additional enrollment to AmeriCorps VISTA program will be required upon request.
Applications will be accepted until July 5, 2017.