AmeriCorps VISTA – Resident Services Program Assistant
Posted: January 3, 2020
Job Title: AmeriCorps VISTA – Resident Services Program Assistant
Hours: Full-Time Position
Start Date: TBD, 12-month commitment
About Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC)
LTSC Community Development Corporation is a fast-paced nonprofit organization with 100 employees. It has been creating, “positive change for people and places,” for 36 years providing service to over 10,000 people each year. LTSC carries out a wide range of programs including social services, childcare, economic development and building affordable housing. LTSC provides affordable housing and resident services for families, the working poor, seniors, formerly homeless, transition aged youth and other special needs populations.
This is a full time, 12-month volunteer position with benefits funded by the AmeriCorps Volunteers in Service to America (VISTA) program. Benefits include a monthly living allowance of $1583.40, pre-tax, AmeriCorps VISTA healthcare benefits and a $1,800 End of Service Stipend or a $6,095, Segal AmeriCorps Education Award to pay for college, graduate school, or existing qualified educational loans. Childcare assistance, training, relocation assistance and liability insurance are provided. Student loans may be deferred during the 12-month commitment. For more information about VISTA, visit www.nationalservice.gov/programs.
The selected VISTA member will serve as a member of APCF, the lead organization providing VISTA members to local non-profits to identify and implement capacity building measures that improve the lives of community members, particularly within the API community. The VISTA will be required to attend a Pre-Service Orientation (PSO) session and will serve a full one-year term.
The VISTA member will serve a full year of service at LTSC and will work in its Resident Services department helping low income residents, of LTSC’s affordable housing buildings and surrounding neighborhoods, strengthen their financial management skills, to better control expenses, reduce debt and increase savings. The VISTA member will be responsible for:
- Grants research and writing: conducting research to identify potential funders; with the assistance of the program manager, preparing and submitting proposals to foundations, government and/or corporate sources
- Volunteer Coordination: strengthen current volunteer procedures; develop ways to increase volunteer retention and help cultivate leaders to undertake more responsibilities and work more closely with staff
- Analyzing data collected from surveys and needs assessments completed by clients and volunteers
- Assist staff to foster relationships with community partners and financial institutions to obtain community resources for clients and volunteers
- Assist staff in coordinating LTSC’S Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Qualification and Experience:
Candidates for the Resident Services Program Assistant position should have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Strong verbal and writing skills, a must;
- Experience with nonprofit community based organizations,
- Interest and experience working on issues affecting low-income and communities of color
- Desire and ability to work with a diverse group of people, particularly those living in low-income distressed neighborhoods
- Experience in outreaching to the community
- Be able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Strong initiative, highly organized, good problem-solving ability
- Good computer skills including Word, Excel, Power Point
- Bilingual (Chinese, Korean, Spanish)/English; highly preferred
- Valid California Driver’s License and access to an insured automobile.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule (some night and weekends may be required)
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Gilda Hernandez | email@example.com