Budokan Facility Rental and Scheduling Manager
Posted: July 23, 2019
Job Title: Facility Rental and Scheduling Manager
Status: Full-time salaried
Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) is a social service and community development organization dedicated to strengthening communities by preserving cultural roots, building stable housing and supporting people in need with services. LTSC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. (For more information, please see LTSC.org.)
Terasaki Budokan is a new facility located in Little Tokyo, Downtown Los Angeles on a 38,880 sq. ft. lot. The facility includes rentable spaces, the main one being a 2-court gymnasium (capacity is 930); an outdoor plaza (an event space with capacity of 250-275); a community room (capacity is 50-120); and an outdoor terrace (capacity is 150). Event rentals will be an important source of operating revenue for the facility. (For more information, please see TerasakiBudokan.org.)
Market, plan, maintain a master schedule, direct and coordinate all rental events taking place at the facility. In addition, coordinate special events sponsored by Terasaki Budokan (Budokan), a project of Little Tokyo Service Center.
Facility Rental events include lectures, performances, meetings, parties, dinners and other events involving the rental of space, catered food and/or drink in the Budokan facility and property. Facility Rental is anticipated as a major source of revenue and the Manager will actively seek opportunities to publicize and develop printed materials and social media venues to market and book Facility Rental opportunities.
Special Events initiated by Budokan or by LTSC may encompass sports-related, internal or community events. This position will coordinate such events with the appropriate LTSC departments and staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position entails the following areas of responsibility:
- Researches, develops and maintains current and competitive policies, procedures and rates for the use of Budokan spaces by individuals and organizations
- Develops marketing materials (in collaboration with LTSC Development/Communications Department) to publicize and promote the Budokan’s spaces for rental events.
- Negotiates, reviews and oversees all contracts for renting/leasing Budokan spaces, with the oversight of Budokan Director and/or appropriate LTSC staff.
- Maintains and communicates a current schedule of rentals to determine availability of facilities for bookings and ensures there are no conflicting events or dates.
- Oversees Budokan and LTSC sponsored events at the facility.
- Facilitates the coordination of outside vendors, caterers, event rental companies with the renting party. (The renting party is solely responsible for contracts made with outside vendors.)
- Coordinates with Facility Manager for any need for fire and police department protection; damage to facility; security needs; special maintenance needs; and parking arrangements.
- Submits invoices and receives and accounts for monies paid for rentals, submitting regular financial reports to Budokan Director and/or LTSC Director of Finance.
- Facilitates the coordination of janitorial, groundskeeping and security personnel or companies as needed for events.
- Contribute, as deemed necessary and appropriate, to other activities related to Budokan and LTSC as a whole.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- B.A. or B.S. degree from an accredited university is preferred
- 2-5 years experience in event planning and coordination, venue management and rental, and/or managing complex scheduling.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with Southern California communities and in particular familiarity with DTLA and central city neighborhoods preferred.
- Must be able to work non-traditional hours and have flexibility.
- Working knowledge and/or ability to learn various computer programs.
- California driver’s license and insurance with access to an automobile.
- Maturity, diplomacy, calm under pressure
- Excellent interpersonal and team skills; openness to learning
- Strong communications skills, written and oral
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, good judgment and problem-solving skills
- Values diversity of thought, perspectives and backgrounds; ability to work with a variety of cultural and socio-economic backgrounds
- Ability to work or multiple projects/tasks while maintaining attention to detail
- Personal integrity and ethical standards
Please submit inquiries, cover letters and resumes to enakano@LTSC.org