Director of Development and Communications
Posted: Aug. 4, 2020
Job Title: Director of Development and Communications
Location: Los Angeles, Ca
Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) is a social service and community development organization that has been creating positive change for the people and places in Southern California for more than 40 years. It preserves and strengthens the unique ethnic communities of the region and helps people thrive. Starting with its own home in Little Tokyo, LTSC builds and strengthens communities throughout Southern California where people, culture and collective future matter.
LTSC seeks a Director of Development and Communications to lead the development and implementation of an organization-wide fund development strategy, as well as oversee communications. The Director of Development and Communications serves on the executive management team and contributes to the overall strategic direction of the organization.
The Director of Development and Communications reports to the Executive Director and works closely with senior staff on fundraising strategies that support the needs of a dynamic organization with a range of programs and services. The Director has a central role in building LTSC’s development infrastructure. This includes designing and implementing a comprehensive development strategy, overseeing the Development and Communications Team, building the strategy and infrastructure for individual donors and managing the Board of Governors made up of corporate and community leaders.
The Development and Communications Team, under the leadership of the Director and in collaboration with the Executive Director, is responsible for positioning LTSC with major corporate, foundation, public partners, and individual donors. The Development Team will work collaboratively with program directors to maintain and develop new funding relationships to support the organization’s programs and activities. The Director will supervise the Communications Manager in the development of marketing materials, social media, website, direct mail, and media communications.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement annual fund development plan in collaboration with Development and Communications Team, Executive Management Team, and Board of Directors;
- Play a leadership role in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting new and existing corporate, government, and foundation partners;
- Create and implement a strategy for building and cultivating a base of annual individual donors from LTSC’s existing donor base and Budokan capital campaign;
- Work with program managers to integrate fund development strategies in their ongoing work;
- Provide guidance, supervision, training and support to fund development and communications staff;
- Develop regular progress reports and planning documents on fundraising status for the Executive Director, Management Team, and Board committees;
- Manage the implementation of a fundraising database system and oversee staff responsible for data entry, donor acknowledgement, and gift processing;
- Supervise special events staff in the planning and implementation of the annual Sake and Food Tasting event and other special events;
- Supervise the Communications Manager in the development of marketing and branding materials and other external communications;
- Join the Executive Director as a public representative of the organization to foundations, corporations, major donors, and other strategic collaborations.
- Represent the organization in the Little Tokyo and local community; ability to communicate the values and goals of the organization.
- Develop and maintain annual department budget;
- Manage Board of Governors and Board Fundraising Committee.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience;
- 3+ years of experience in nonprofit development, with increasing levels of responsibility;
- Experience with grant writing and grants management;
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and communications skills;
- Strong communication and relationship building skills.
- Must be willing to work in a fast-paced setting.
- Must be a team player with a demonstrated ability to work well in a highly collaborative environment.
- Experience in nonprofit management at a senior level, including budgeting, supervising staff, and program administration.
How to Apply:
Please e-mail cover letter and resume to Chris Aihara at caihara@LTSC.orgcreate new email