Far East Lounge Coordinator
Posted: June 25, 2018
Job Title: Far East Lounge Coordinator
Employment Status: Part-time, hourly / Full-time possible
The Far East Lounge Coordinator assists older adults to enhance the quality of their lives so they can maintain their independence and live at home and in the community.
The Coordinator will (a) interact with a broad cross-section of people in the Little Tokyo community as well as the broader Japanese American community, (b) participate in the continuing development of a new type of environment or space for seniors and others to “hang out’, (c) develop new programs in coordination with the Social Services Department and outside instructors, (d) engage volunteers with shared vision to play a prominent role in the Far East Lounge, (e) organize and coordinate the various activities and set the schedule, (f) learn about and develop relationships with other businesses, institutions and groups in Little Tokyo, particularly in First Street North (FSN) and (g) oversee the overall operation of the Far East Lounge. He/she must possess a wide range of skills and attributes, and must be willing to learn. He/she must be able to work with a diverse staff and programs, as well as be flexible and take initiative when appropriate.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Operations and Resource Management
- assist in the development and implementation of rental policies, procedure and protocols for the use of the space;
- manage the office and its resources, including equipment and supplies, security devices, consumables, AV equipment, resource guides, informational materials, kitchen supplies, etc;
- perform receptionist duties including greeting guests, answering telephone calls, and sorting mail;
- engage in fundraising and outreach, provide relevant information to grants writers, and develop and implement ideas for increasing donors;
- handle some financial matters such as invoices, check requests, rental requests, etc;
- maintain internal logs and back-up documentation as well as compile information and data relevant for funders and relevant LTSC programs;
- manage the FEL schedule of activities;
- coordinate volunteer recruitment, training, assignments and schedules;
- coordinate and work with Social Service Department staff on intake, information and referrals, and other client services and activities;
Client and Community Relations
- supervise volunteers and interns as appropriate;
- create a safe and supportive environment for clients, participants, and community use as appropriate;
- coordinate activities, events, workshops and seminars to educate and train community members;
- network with community members and organizations to further promote and expand program and activities provided at FEL;
- maintain and be familiar with resources and agencies that assist seniors;
- work cooperatively with other agencies and organizations that benefit seniors;
- attend trainings, seminars, meetings and participate in conferences as assigned; and to be trained and to train others;
Contribute, as deemed necessary and appropriate, including activities and assignments related to the Social Services Department and of Little Tokyo Service Center as a whole.
Qualifications and Experiences:
- Bilingual in English AND Japanese, including ability to read and write in Japanese;
- Strong office management and organizational skills;
- Initiative and ability to work independently, good people skills, good problem-solving and dispute-resolution skills, and ability to manage multiple projects effectively;
- Demonstrated working knowledge of community services in the area, with particular knowledge of services for elderly and ethnic minority populations;
- Experience with or knowledge of Japanese American and Asian American communities preferred;
- Experience in nonprofit and community service organization is preferred;
- Good problem-solving, writing and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work both independently and in teams.
Please submit inquiries, cover letters, and resumes to SocialServices@LTSC.orgcreate new email.
Little Tokyo Service Center is a social service and community development organization that has been creating positive change for the people and places in Southern California for more than 37 years. We preserve and strengthen the unique ethnic communities of our region and help people thrive. Starting with our own home in Little Tokyo, we build and strengthen communities throughout Southern California where people, culture and our collective future matter.