Resident Services Volunteer-Intern Program
Financial Literacy Overview
Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) is a fast-paced social service and community development organization committed to improving the lives of individuals and families through culturally sensitive social service care, strengthening neighborhoods through housing and community development, and promoting the rich heritage of our ethnic communities. Founded in 1979, the organization serves thousands of people each year.
The resident services department at LTSC is looking to intake, train, and develop volunteers who will serve low-income members of its Financial Literacy Program.
Participants of our financial literacy programs will help affordable housing families achieve economic self-sufficiency and asset growth. Program activities can include financial education workshops, financial counseling, and tax assistance or preparation (VITA). The expectation is that residents will obtain critical information and resources, be better prepared to develop financial goals, and be more deliberate about managing their finances responsibly to increase their financial opportunities.
Responsibilities may include:
- Conducting needs assessment surveys and/or questionnaires
- Performing phone outreach to residents and volunteers
- If bilingual, translating documents or interpreting during workshops
- Leading workshops which may include topics tailored for youth, recent graduates, working poor families, and adults 60 or older.
- Assisting clients in developing financial goals and developing an action plan.
- Coaching clients by setting financial goals, scheduling check-ins, and assessing clients’ progress
- Providing free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals
- Passing basic tax preparation certification and helping with client intake
While experience is a plus, our volunteer program welcomes volunteers of all different backgrounds, work/volunteer experiences, and ages. If you are interested in applying please fill out the interest form at https://goo.gl/forms/SYyiUCYyIjKBq5Qj1, OR email the volunteer coordinator at email@example.com.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact the volunteer coordinator, Yae Rin Kim (Erin) at (213) 473-1634, or by email (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Yae Rin Kim (Erin)
Little Tokyo Service Center
231 E. Third Street, Suite G106
Los Angeles, CA 90013