Mi CASA in Little Tokyo
Mi CASA is a FREE after-school program serving youth (ages 6-18) from low-income neighborhoods in and around Little Tokyo. Mi CASA is an accessible and high-quality program that supports the physical, emotional and social health of local youth.
For the 2022-23 school year, Mi CASA will operate in person at Terasaki Budokan. For the Fall semester, Mi CASA will run from August 22, 2022 until December 9, 2022, Monday through Friday from 2:30pm to 5:30pm.
LTSC hopes for students to become empowered and make informed decisions about their physical, emotional, and mental health, along with understanding the connection between their well-being and the strength of their communities.
Along with academic success, we want students in this after-school program to see themselves as active members in society with the capacity to make a positive change in their neighborhoods.
Please note: we prioritize the health and safety of our community during the COVID-19 pandemic and take all necessary precautions to protect students, staff, and volunteers.
What to expect:
- Throughout the week, students will engage with Mi CASA’s program areas: Community, Academics, Sports, and Art.
- Academic support and tutoring is available Monday-Friday 2:30-4:30pm. In order to ensure that students are receiving meaningful, individual attention and academic and emotional support through the school year, Mi CASA tutors are available to assist your child with school work each day. Access to the internet and internet-capable devices will be available for use.
- On Wednesdays from 4:30-5:30 p.m., interactive, hands-on workshops will be held for students to participate in different art activities.
- On Fridays, clinics will be led by older youth to engage in different sports activities, such as volleyball, basketball, soccer, and table tennis. Community tournaments will also occasionally be held.
A community project of LTSC, the newly built Terasaki Budokan features:
- Indoor gymnasium
- Outdoor plaza with a stage
- Children’s playground
- Community room
Little Tokyo Service Center has provided after-school services for 20 years and we are excited to expand this much-needed program at Terasaki Budokan. Past results of students in our youth group activities include:
- 91% improved their grade point average
- 89% improved their grades by at least one or more grade levels
- 76% of students graduating went on to college
- 75% improved their reading and comprehension grades
- 62% improved their math grades
*Terasaki Budokan is a facility in Downtown Los Angeles for youth, families and seniors for sports, community activities, and connections between Japanese American culture and the Little Tokyo neighborhood.
Volunteer with Mi CASA
Mi CASA is currently looking for fun & dedicated volunteers to mentor the youth through academic assistance, arts & crafts, sports and other developmental activities. The program will run, in-person, Monday through Friday from 2:30pm to 5:30pm, beginning August 22nd for the 2022-2023 school year. Volunteers are required to commit to at least one day per week for an entire semester, Monday-Friday, from 2-6 pm.
- Youth participant check-in & check-out
- Provide academic support/ tutoring
- Planning & coordination of arts & craft activities and recreational engagement
- Active engagement in activities, sports, and/or free play with the youth
- Helping ensure the safety of the youth at all times
Please note that we are implementing COVID-19 safety guidelines and protocols, including wearing masks at all times indoors.