Please note: we prioritize the health and safety of our community during the COVID-19 pandemic and plan to take all necessary precautions to protect students, staff, and volunteers for the 2020-2021 school year.
FREE after-school program for youth ages 6 to 18 years old supporting the physical, emotional and social health of youth in Little Tokyo and neighboring communities
For the 2020-21 school year, Mi CASA will operate in a hybrid instructional format, with opportunities for virtual and in-person learning.
To learn more about enrolling your child for the 2020-21 school year, contact Youth Services Coordinator Jacklyn Waight at opens in a new email@example.com new email or (213) 473-1689.
What to expect:
- Virtual tutoring is available Monday-Friday, and weekly virtual workshops on Wednesdays. We are currently in the process of planning for the return of our hybrid format with limited in-person programming available.
- On Wednesdays from 4-5:00 p.m., interactive, hands-on workshops will be held on Zoom for students to engage with Mi CASA’s program areas: Community, Academics, Sports, and Art. Access to the Internet and an Internet-capable device is needed to participate.
- One-on-one virtual tutoring available 5 days a week: In order to ensure that students are receiving meaningful, individual attention and academic and emotional support through the school year, Mi CASA virtual tutors are available to meet 1-2 times a week with your child online. Tutors work closely with students and their families to identify goals and create a custom learning plan with their schedule, workload, and interests in mind.
A community project of LTSC, the newly built Terasaki Budokan features:
- Indoor gymnasium
- Outdoor plaza with a stage
- Children’s playground
- Community room
Little Tokyo Service Center has provided after-school services for 20 years and we are excited to expand this much-needed program at Terasaki Budokan. Past results of students in our youth group activities include:
- 91% improved their grade point average
- 89% improved their grades by at least one or more grade levels
- 76% of students graduating went on to college
- 75% improved their reading and comprehension grades
- 62% improved their math grades
LTSC hopes for students to become empowered and make informed decisions about their physical, emotional, and mental health, along with understanding the connection between their well-being and the strength of their communities.
Along with academic success, we want students in this after-school program to see themselves as active members in society with the capacity to make a positive change in their neighborhoods.
*Terasaki Budokan is a facility in Downtown Los Angeles for youth, families and seniors for sports, community activities, and connections between Japanese American culture and the Little Tokyo neighborhood.