LTSC is partnering with Los Angeles County Metro Transit Authority to build 187 affordable units and community serving commercial and social service space at the Vermont/Santa Monica Metro station.
Santa Monica Vermont Apartments
About the Project
Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) is a non-profit social service organization and affordable housing developer that has been improving the lives of individuals and families for over 40 years.
LTSC has developed over 1,000 units of affordable and permanent supportive housing in Greater Los Angeles. Currently we are partnering with the Los Angeles County Metro Transit Authority (Metro) to build 187 affordable units and community serving ground floor commercial space at the Vermont/Santa Monica Metro station.
The project’s 187 units will be affordable for low income households, with half of the units reserved as permanent supportive housing for homeless individuals. The project will also include on-site supportive services for residents, provided by Housing Works.
“The need for affordable and permanent supportive housing has never been more urgent as market rate developments continue to crop up in East Hollywood and the homelessness crisis continues to worsen with the ongoing pandemic,” said Debbie Chen, Director of Real Estate Development at LTSC.
The ground floor of Santa Monica Vermont Apartments will include community-serving retail space with plans for a health center and a food court, prioritizing local and legacy small businesses as tenants. The project also includes transit improvements to the surrounding area such as Metro station and plaza enhancements, a bike/mobility hub and new and improved transit shelters. Throughout the development process, LTSC collaborated with the East Hollywood community to ensure the project leaves a positive impact on the health of the neighborhood.
May 2022 Update:
Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC) has successfully secured all financing for the Santa Monica Vermont Apartments. A groundbreaking ceremony took place on May 4th and construction on the project has begun. opens in a new windowCatch a recording of the groundbreaking ceremony here!
- 187 apartments, 100% Extremely Low Income (30% AMI) and Very Low Income (50% AMI) units
- At least half of all units will be set aside for permanent supportive housing (PSH). The building will feature an on-site supportive services provider, Housing Works, to provide wraparound services
- Accessible integration of the SMV Apartments building structure and Metro Public Plaza/station
- A comprehensive suite of transit improvements, including a Bicycle/Mobility Hub, Mobility Hub kiosk, First Last Mile improvements, and new and improved rapid and local bus stops and shelters
- Food Court along the Plaza for maximum activation of adjacent public space. Please submit ideas for programming of Metro Plaza, including local/legacy businesses, food carts, etc.
- Plans for Health Center (Federally Qualified) and Pharmacy/Convenience Store
News & Media Coverage
- opens in a new windowLittle Tokyo Service Center (05/04/2022) Ground Breaking Ceremony Livestream Recording
- opens in a new windowUrbanize LA (03/01/2022) Supportive Housing to Rise Above Metro Stop in East Hollywood
- opens in a new windowNBC Los Angeles (01/25/2022) LA City Council Advances Affordable Housing Development (LTSC’s SMV Apartments)
- Urbanize Los Angeles (09/24/2019) New Look for Vermont/Santa Monica Development