VITA Site Assistant
Posted: October 25, 2019
Job Title: VITA Site Assistant
Hours: Part-time (24 hours/ week), Temporary
About Little Tokyo Service Center (LTSC)
LTSC is a social services and community development organization based in Los Angeles’ Little Tokyo. Our mission is to provide a comprehensive array of social welfare and community development services to assist low income individuals and other persons in need, contribute to community revitalization and cultural preservation in Little Tokyo and among the broader Japanese community in the Southland, and to provide such resources to neighboring Asian Pacific Islander and other low-income communities. For more information about LTSC, visit www.ltsc.org
LTSC Resident Services provides services to residents and families living in many of LTSC’s affordable housing buildings through after-school programming, academic enrichment, tenant meetings and activities, financial education and civic engagement programs.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program offers free tax help to people who generally make $56,000 or less, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. The VITA Site Assistant is a direct service, responsible for assisting the implementation of programs and services identified and developed by the VITA Site Supervisor. This position is scheduled to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Saturdays. Evening hours will be required.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Implement VITA programs at specific sites by:
- Providing administrative support for the VITA Site Supervisor.
- Providing interpretation services for site supervisor and volunteers.
- Managing intake and screening processes at VITA sites, tax days.
- Assisting with set up and cleanup of site.
- Assisting with producing reports on a timely basis.
- Providing tax preparation returns at sites as needed.
- Attend relevant meetings and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned by the site supervisor.
Minimum Requirements / Qualifications (All applicants MUST meet the minimum qualifications):
- A high school diploma or equivalent with 2 years of work experience.
- Ability to receive required VITA tax filing certification for Basic and Advanced courses; Training will be provided.
- Bilingual capacity (English/Spanish) and/or (English/Japanese) preferred but other languages welcomed.
- Strong understanding and commitment to working with a multicultural community.
- Strong customer service experience.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and a willingness to participate fully in a team process.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, multi-task and problem solve.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, written and communication skills.
- Demonstrable working knowledge of the use and operation of personal computers.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft programs and MAC systems.
- A valid Class C California Driver License, access to personal automobile, and proof of auto insurance.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Physical requirements: seeing to inspect documents; ability to communicate with LTSC staff, clients and public; sitting and standing for extended periods of time; bending, kneeling and reaching to retrieve and replace files; and dexterity of hands and fingers to operate office equipment.
- An Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Economics, Business Administration, Finance, or other-related field from an accredited College or University.
- Previous experience managing or volunteering at a VITA site.
- Demonstrable knowledge and skill in personal income tax filing.
How to Apply:
Email your cover letter and resume to Gilda Hernandez, email@example.com.